Wednesday, September 9, 2009

reality? oh, no thanks. I'm an anarchist.


http://resistg20.org/crimethinc-statement















I'm sure everyone gets tired of hearing me complain about things, but probably this subject more than others. The subject being anarchists, and their not-so-firm grip on reality.

My first problem:
There are soooo many people on this Earth and sooo many governments ruling these people, it would be pretty darn near impossible to get rid of one government let alone turn the whole world into an anarchist society. Because, of course, if American anarchists have a plan to degovernmentalize the US without another strong country taking advantage of us because we no longer have any military or structure, then of course they have a plan to release the rest of the world from the chains that government and hierarchies put on us. They wouldn't leave anyone behind in their utopian vision, would they?

Mostly I think that being an anarchist is living in a world where you exist for today with dreams of a future that, if it were to happen at all, would take hundreds of years to come into focus, and probably some kind of conflict for things to go the way they want. Most of the self-proclaimed anarchists I know of do not think of where they will be as a 60 year old anarchist who has never finished school or never had more than a few meaningless jobs (while they relied on their usually wealthy parents), trying to figure out what they did all those years and why they're not any further than they were in their twenties.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not saying that we have it all right. It seems silly to me that humans have jobs and use money and do half of the things they do. But this is where we've evolved to. This is where we're at. I don't think that the things we have will go away, and that includes the way that we're governed. Anarchists obviously use cell phones and computers and the internet and other forms of media to get their word out, so they probably aren't as disconnected and unappreciative of modern day life as they would have everyone believe.

I remember being young and thinking that being an anarchist would be awesome. I thought I could drop out of school and ride trains across the country and pilfer off of what everyone throws out and leaves behind. I thought money would never be an issue because I would steal and eat out of dumpsters. I listened to Aus Rotten and Choking Victim and the like and thought they were geniuses, until I realized they were all using the same phrases and probably (most likely) on crack. The older I got (obviously this was only like seven years ago) and the closer I got to being on my own, I realized how that couldn't happen. I want to learn and better myself and have movies and computers and Panera breads and Old Navys. I am too sick to not be going to the doctor all the time (it costs money!). I like going to the dentist and having clean teeth. I like silly things like picture frames and clocks shaped like cats. I like the idea of having children someday and having a home somewhere, and big dogs. I don't think that could happen if I just let everything go now.

I think I'll wrap this up before it becomes a novel.

I don't want people to give up the hope that someday we'll rise above the existence we have now (a topic for future writing...). I would just like it if people wouldn't waste time on the intangible. Dreams are great, but only if you act on them and can expect results. Instead of fighting against everything and trying so hard to not be "normal," it would probably be more advantageous to work on things that can be accomplished. This is what we have and you should work with it. Fight for change to make things better in this reality, instead of protesting things that won't be any closer to changing when you're on your way home, with your "NO GODS NO MANAGERS" picket sign in hand. Fight for real equality and help for those who need it, instead of going crazy with rebellion and your want to not have anyone in control of you. The people you're trying to get through to don't take you seriously when you throw bricks or poop or do black blocks and wear your protest gear. "Normal" people laugh and see you as a spectacle. They lose interest as soon as you tell them you're an anarchist. It's become a subculture that doesn't let non-members have a peek of the inner workings. Try becoming more accessible and less scary/funny to the normies (that's what we'll call them). Stop acting like you're in SLC Punk. There are citizens in countries where leaders are tyrannical and don't do anything to help their people. Be happy and grateful for what you have instead of finding reasons to cause commotion and actually hurt more than you help.


Annnddd... SCENE.

No comments:

Post a Comment